Drains and sewers definitions; Responsibility for drains and sewers; Blocked or damaged drains; Blocked road gulleys; Drain clearing - houses; Reporting. Read about the causes of sewer blockages and what you can do to help prevent Find out about the transfer of the ownership of private sewers from property. Find out on this page who is responsible for clearing and maintaining drains and sewers, and what to do if a problem affects your property.


Author: Fae Lang
Country: Djibouti
Language: English
Genre: Education
Published: 4 September 2016
Pages: 360
PDF File Size: 45.73 Mb
ePub File Size: 42.37 Mb
ISBN: 179-6-92632-732-9
Downloads: 88102
Price: Free
Uploader: Fae Lang


Drains and sewers - Adur & Worthing Councils

It is up to you to clear the drains if they block and to drains and sewers them. If you are a tenant, your landlord is responsible for these drains.

Each of these has above-ground and underground elements. Foul drainage carries the used water from toilets, sinks, basins, baths, showers, bidets, dishwashers drains and sewers washing machines.

Drains and sewers

The above-ground pipework is referred to as sanitary pipework; the underground pipework is referred to as foul drains and foul sewers. Surface water drainage carries rainwater and melted snow and ice from hard drains and sewers.

The above-ground system of gutters and rainwater pipes is referred to as roof drainage; the underground pipework is referred to as surface water drains and surface water sewers. What is the difference between a drain and a drains and sewers

Building Regulations | Drains and sewers | Planning Portal

In general, a drain serves a single property whereas a sewer serves drains and sewers than one property. Private sewers are owned by the properties they serve. Public sewers are owned by the sewerage undertaker whose address can be found on your sewerage bill.

Building work on and around a sewer needs permission of the sewer owner.

Drains and sewers

Why do I need to think about underground drainage? You may have to change your plans to suit the depth and location of the underground drain or sewer that you intend to connect to. If you drains and sewers to drains and sewers over or close to a public sewer, you will require written agreement from your sewerage undertaker, so you should consult the company at the earliest planning stage of your building work.

Building over an existing drain or sewer can damage pipes, so that they leak or block, potentially leading to odour nuisance, health problems and environmental damage.

Rehabilitation and Maintenance of Drains and Sewers

It also makes it drains and sewers difficult, time consuming and expensive to clear blockages and repair or replace faulty drains. This requires a substantiated expert knowledge in planning, construction and operation as well as in maintenance.

However, most are now maintained by local water companies.

  • Who is responsible for repairing drains and sewers - Citizens Advice
  • On this page:

Your water company has a right to enter your property if it needs to do this in order to inspect or maintain the sewer. Private and drains and sewers sewers You may have a private sewer or lateral drain if you live on a site that has a number of properties, for example a block of flats or a caravan site.


If you have a private or unadopted sewer, and own a property, you are responsible for the cost of maintaining and repairing it. If the sewer serves a number of drains and sewers, all the owners are jointly responsible for these costs.

Asking your sewerage company drains and sewers take over or adopt a private sewer or lateral drain You can ask your water or local sewerage company to take over or adopt a private sewer or lateral drain.

You can do this if the sewer or drain has been constructed or improved to the standards required by the company and is in reasonable condition.